While I Wait: Part 3

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

While I Wait: The {Renewed} Mind
the series

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2 


Pregnancy and a changed mind. No, I'm not talking about the mood swings. I'm not even talking about being cranky. I am talking about the correct way to think about your circumstances. Let's establish up front that I am not gonna blame hormones for everything. Some things are my fault. I'm a human being who have choices so I take responsibility for them. I am a woman who needs God and depends on His grace to make it.


All through my pregnancy I tried to prepare my mind for action. Most people prepare for delivery only but I like to go beyond that and get ready for all God has for me. Life goes on beyond delivery and the newborn days, you know?

Last year, God called my attention to Romans 12:2 during the last day of my pregnancy. I did not know what it meant until my whole birth experience was over.  
What is renewing your mind? Let's put in in layman's terms. When you renew your wardrobe you get some new outfits, right? Out with the 90s wardrobe, in with the new. We can do the same with our minds. Out with old thoughts. Out with thoughts of fear, insecurity about your pregnancy, your health. Out with that horrible vision that came to you after you heard enough old wives tales from your co-workers. In with the promises of God which bring hope and a happy future. 


Some of you may be thinking: 'you paint such a nice picture... but stuff happens. Medical emergencies happen. Things go wrong sometimes.' I totally agree with that. I also believe that you can face difficulties with a negative or a positive mindset. The negative one usually raises my blood pressure. The positive one is described as being kept in perfect peace. The Bibles teaches us that if we keep our minds stayed on God, He gives us perfect peace in exchange. So remember, in with the new God thoughts, out with the old, negative ungodly ones. 


"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45
Renewing my mind also means taking a break from some people in my life. Most don't mean to be negative but what it's in their hearts just comes out of their mouths: a report about negative effects of c-sections, making me feel anxious about my choices... you name it. I choose to stay away from some so that my mind can be at peace. The voice of God is the only one I need during my birth experience, not the voice of doubt and fear. 


Other ways to renew my mind include:
Meditating in the word of God. Blessed are those who meditate on the things of God day and night (Psalm 1:1-2). Joyce Meyers said that if you know how to worry, you know how to meditate. You just think about something over and over. Simple hum?
Practice Positive Confessions. "...God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;" Romans 4:17 God is creative and so are we. There is power of life and death in our tongues so I plan on using the power of life over my birth and my situation. It doesn't have to be complicated. If I worry about the lack of provision, I can say "the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." If I worry about health I can say "God’s Word is health to all my flesh. His Word is medicine to my flesh. By His stripes, I am healed."
Get some rest. Plain and simple, get some sleep. You think and act clearly when you do.


I'm sure you and I can think of other ways to get your mind renewed so we can be ready to enjoy God's blessing in your life. Getting the registry ready, a baby shower and setting up the nursery can't take away the things your mind go through. I encourage you to do what the Bible says in Proverbs 4:23, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Previously in this Series:
While I Wait: Part 1 | "Expecting"
While I Wait: Part 2 | "Lend a Hand"
Digital Mom said...

LOVE This! I totally am with you. Positive mindset effects everything. When i'm in a negative pooey kind of mood - my world (kids, family, work) reflect that.

Stay strong. Keep trust in Him. And SMILE a baby girl is on her way.