While I Wait Part 1

Thursday, March 11, 2010

While I Wait... Expecting 
the series

I must admit that didn't really take pregnancy as a season of total waiting. I was extremely busy while I waited. A full-time job, contract work, church, the home... I had a lot going on. I could not relate to women who patiently sat in their living rooms looking at their expanded bellies just waiting for birth day. I was a busy bee by trade. When I decided to sit by my window, put my feet up and wait for my due date, my water broke. The wait was over. 

Little did I know that there would be other types of waiting stored for me. The most painful was waiting for my milk to come so I could fulfill my dream of breastfeeding. After a whole week, natural meds, tears and pain, my milk came. The interesting part was that I couldn't produce but 2 ounces per day. 

What did I do while I waited for my milk to come? My first reaction was to be anxious and totally freak out. That didn't help. My last (very last) resort was to say a prayer that was simple but included something like 'Your will be done Lord.' 
God's answer did come. It wasn't as powerful as a 'Moses moment on the cloudy mountain.' I just knew my answer had come because I finally let go of my own anxiety and decided to really release my request to him. The psalmist puts it like this:

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3 

Most of you know that God hears you no matter what time of the day you talk to Him. Even when you think He's not paying attention, still, He's there. I want to encourage you to look at your circumstance and make a decision, do I keep handling this myself, or do I trust God to give me the correct answer? After that, just wait in expectation. 

I haven't been part of the motherhood club for long but I have experienced my share of tests and trials. Some are related to motherhood, some are not. As an inexperienced mom, I didn't know that life didn't stop because I gave birth. I am still going through the processes of life through my marriage, friendships, finances, career... you name it. 

I feel that it's important to know what to do 'While I Wait.' I find the Bible an infinite source of encouragement and wisdom. I learned that it's possible to be in a good mood while I wait:

Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage,  And He shall strengthen your heart;  Wait, I say, on the LORD! Psalm 27:14

I learned that there's protection when I wait on God:
"We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield." Psalm 33:20

I've been pondering a lot about waiting and what in the world I can do (or not do) while I wait. Hope you find encouragement and hope in God in your season of waiting!


Because this is a blog and I have fun with it, check out my latest papering: L'Oréal Paris' nail polish # 508 (Stroke of Midnight). I also got flowers for International Women's Day. My husband is just awesome!

Victoria said...

Great post - I enjoyed reading some of your thoughts on "waiting..." I too had issues with milk/milk supply. Not a fun time, but you learn a lot during the "not so fun times." Learning that we are on God's time, and not MY time, is hard!