What I learned this Summer 2024

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Summer is safely behind us and the kids are back to school. I'm grateful to God for our summer break. I learned so many good things. I think my major lesson was about God's faithfulness to our family. 


We saw God move in a miraculous way in the life of my father this summer. I'm still overcome with awe at God's blessing. I want to write more about it in a future book. For now, I am deeply grateful that God heard hundreds of prayers and He supernaturally answered them. 


The kids are teenagers who had their first summer job. I have one studying to get a driver's permit. My youngest completed babysitter safety training. I'm grateful to see the kids achieving different milestones as they grow.


I set a few goals at the beginning of the year and revised them at the start of the summer. I'm glad I did because now I'm grateful for the opportunity to accomplish those family goals. The kids set goals for themselves as well. I noticed that goal setting for teens gives them a sense of control and security. They become responsible for those goals and making something good out of those fleeting weeks. 


I learned how to take better care of myself this summer. Summers are great and they are challenging because of different family demands. I learned that taking care of my health and slowing down to appreciate God's creation helps me grow in wellness. 


This is the second summer in a roll when a friend has a come to Jesus moment with me. I'm grateful that my friends know they have the freedom to speak the truth in love. We're all better for it. We grow and our friendship becomes even more beautiful. I'm grateful to be in healthy friendships with people who live close to me. 


The kids and I went to the public library and we borrowed several cookbooks. We baked quite a few new desserts. I was excited about this part of our summer. We often try new dishes in the summer and repeat them in the Fall. We also baked in season. In June we made a fresh strawberry cake. It was delicious and worth the research and execution time. 


My teens spent a lot of our summer without phones. We even traveled without it. I found the kids to be calmer and more joyful without their phones. It was easier to bond. When screens are absent, it is easier to use and develop a common vocabulary. I'm grateful for my husband's leadership and support in parenting our kids. 


The best parenting starts on my knees. When I pray, I ask God for wisdom. I then get up and read the Bible. I rely on my husband's wisdom and guidance and together, we aim to serve the Lord as parents. 


I could go on and on about this summer but one word summarizes what we live: gratitude.