When you don't bloom where you are planted

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

I've been caring for sick plants quite a bit since we moved to Georgia. I'm a frugal person and I enjoy a good deal. I wanted to buy a Zz plant but I found them to be too expensive. I waited for a while. One day, I saw several offered for a discount. Upon closer examination, they were not looking so hot (or healthy). I decided to take them home with me.

I do not have a green thumb or experience in keeping plants alive. Still, I gave it a try. The plants did really well at my home. I discovered that the light and temperature were ideal for growth. The next plant I brought home was a sorry-looking Fiddle leaf fig. I decided to put it in my bathroom. The leaves kept falling. Unlike the Zzs, the light and temperature did not seem to have an effect on the plant. In my mind that plant was a relative of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. 

Time went by and I started to pay attention to the soil where the Fiddle leaf fig was planted. I realized that not only the soil was lacking but the roots had grown so much that it was impossible to be healthy in a seemingly perfect environment. 

I bought new soil and transferred the Fiddle leaf fig to a larger container. After a while, multiple leaves were popping up and not falling on the floor like before. I learned that sometimes, you don't bloom where you are planted because you outgrew the soil where you are planted. If you stay, you will slowly dry. 

The Zzs no longer looked sad as they did the day I bought them. They were thriving so much, I decided to share them with others. I replanted them in beautiful containers and gave them as gifts. I did not want to keep them to myself and run the risk of having another case of the roots outgrowing the container. 

Except for the Fiddle leaf fig, my plants stay on the first floor of our house. I decided my son's room needed a plant so I took one of the Zzs there. I also decided the back yard needed a plant so I put another Zz outside. My son enjoyed having the plant but didn't pay much attention to it until the plant started to die. He carried it downstairs as if it was a sick person. He said, "I think this plant needs help." Meanwhile, the Georgia heat did not do the other Zz a favor. It too started to die. 

Sometimes it is not the plant's fault. The dark or hot environment makes it impossible for a plant to thrive. It is not possible to bloom where you are planted if the environment is conducive to killing instead of healing. 

I've been there. I tried to bloom where I was planted but door after door was closed. If I could move myself, I would have. For some reason, God wanted me in those environments a little while longer. I did wait for His help and rescue. 

I eagerly waited for God. I can say that God turned to me and heard my cry. He replanted me in good soil. I am grateful and I am flourishing now. 

If like me, you feel like you can't bloom, don't be discouraged. May the words of Psalm 40 remind you of the faithfulness of God who sees you and who will rescue you.

I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him. Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV)