The “S-word,” the sWord and the sword

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The S-word
Deep issues surface when you’re trying to change the outside the right way – at least in my case. Researchers have proved that one of the reasons why people overeat are connected to the “S-word.” Being overweight might be deeper than genes, it might be related to stress.
Stress is a piece of work. I’ve heard people saying that our bodies were created to deal with a certain amount of stress but it’s up to us to manage the amount of stress we face from day to day.
Stress causes different effects in different people. I noticed that my blood pressure goes sky high when I’m dealing (other than eliminating) with stress. I get nervous, feel tired and I’m in a vulnerable place where my old self could reach out to food instead of a practical and effective solution to the problem.

The sWord
The best way for a Christian to deal with stress is using the Word of God. Here’s the proof:
“Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6:17
“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 Whether you pray it, sing it, confess it or meditate on it, the Word of God is effective every time. When you use other methods, you are using your own sword and here’s what the sons of Koreh think about that:
“I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory;” Psalms 44:6

The sword
I’ve used my own sword plenty of times. Last year I overbooked myself. I taught too many classes, I attended too many events. I didn’t have enough time for my 3 Rs (regroup, relax and rest). I took on too many responsibilities. I had to learn how to rely on God to show me which events to attend, if I needed to teach, you get the point. I learned my lesson.
It’s worth mentioning that there are many ways to fight stress that are legitimate and work. As for me, I want to be sure that the Word of God is the first weapon I use. For example, I enjoy exercising. It does wonders for my body and mind. I am thankful to God that I am at a point where I know I need to exercise several times a week to fight stress instead of eating a whole German chocolate cake.
I have decided to speak up and confess the Word of God when stress tries to creep in. I want to trouble my trouble, I want the lifestyle of more than a conqueror. Stress, you suck. I am gonna pay you no attention. I’m gonna fight and conquer because Jesus said I am to take His light burden and easy yoke.