Grace and Accountability

Monday, October 7, 2024

This Fall, I am grateful to God for grace and accountability in our family's daily life. Grace because where would be we be without God's grace? Also because we need to give ourselves grace to adapt to our new Fall schedule. 

Over the years I learned through observation and action. I observed what too much activity does to me. I experience burnout. I'm no good to anyone who needs me. The following actions turned out to be temperate. I don't stuff our family's schedule with activities and we also don't leave it nearly empty. We ask simple questions. Where are we? Where do we want to go? 

Goal setting helps us to stay accountable and focused. The support and love of family help us to stay rooted and grounded in love. 

Everyone in the family adds their gifts and talents to the mix. Beauty always comes from our efforts. We become stronger as a whole and as individuals. 

The past few weeks allowed me to do some God-led introspection. I want to be obedient and become who God called me to become. I want our kids to experience the same joy of obeying God's word and ways. Last week's focus was excellence. After our initial conversation, everywhere we turned, the word "excellence" appeared. It was even in a saxophone music book's song title! I want to embrace the call for excellence in every area of my life. 

One of the God-led introspection calls was not to limit God's power. Because I am human, this happens on a mental level. I am persuaded not to limit what God can do with my lack of faith. Instead, I want to get out of the way and let God be God. How do I do that? First, I humble myself under the mighty hand of God (1 Peter 5:6). Then, I cast my cares upon Him (1 Peter 5:7). 

This is where I am this Fall: at the feet of Jesus humbling myself, reading His word, and looking for grace while remaining accountable.